All Undergraduate and Graduate International students enrolled in Continuous Registration or 1 Resident Instruction credit hour or more, are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). If you have other health insurance coverage, including an employer plan or an individual health plan, please submit a waiver request.
Quick Facts for International Student Health Insurance Plan:
- Anthem Blue Cross is the insurance carrier
- AmeriBen is the claims administrator
- Phone: (855) 258-2656
- Website: myameriben.com
Benefits Within CSU Health Network
Co-pays and deductibles for medical services or prescriptions do not apply when enrolled students utilize services within CSU Health Network
- Medical Services
- Lab Tests*
- *Lab tests drawn at CSU Health Network but sent to an outside lab for processing will be subject to the plan deductible and coinsurance.
- Tests/Procedures including minor Surgical Procedures
- Physical Therapy
- NEW for 2022/2023– SHIP Dental plan available to use at CSU Health Network and with Anthem Dental Complete community providers (up to $1500 in services annually, paid at 100% for prevention care (2x year), 80% minor restorative, 50% major restorative, some exclusions apply).
Flex Dollars: $150 per academic year available to use toward non-covered services at CSU Health Network:
- Optometry Services
- Travel consultation and necessary vaccinations related to personal travel
- Medical Records
- Voluntary or other services not medically necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of an illness or injury
- Includes physicals for employment/military/sports or volunteering
Please note: Flex will no longer be available to cover Health Network Access Fees for part time students beginning Fall 2022.
Benefits Outside CSU Health Network
- Deductible is $500 In-Network / $1,000 Out-of-Network
- Out of Pocket Maximum is $6,850 In-Network / $13,700 Out-of-Network
- NEW for 2022/2023 Greater Access to Mental Health Care (psychiatry, behavioral health, counseling): no co-pay/no co-insurance/no deductible In-Person, Outpatient Care via Anthem In-Network (community) providers. Students can search for in-network providers on the Anthem website.
- NEW for 2022/2023 SHIP Dental plan (beginning August 1) available to use at CSU Health Network and with Anthem Dental Complete community providers (up to $1500 in services annually, paid at 100% for prevention care (2x year), 80% minor restorative, 50% major restorative, some exclusions apply).
- Prescriptions co-pay tiers $10 generic /$35 brand /$60 specialty
- Lab services drawn at CSU Health Network but sent to an outside lab will be subject to the plan deductible and coinsurance.
|Summer Only 2023||$432|
(Enroll/Cancel by 9/7/22)
(Enroll/Cancel by 2/1/22)
|Summer 2023 Only||5/1/23-7/31/23|
Who is eligible to enroll in the International Student Health Insurance Plan?
International students are subject to the mandatory insurance requirement and are enrolled in the plan upon class registration with the University.
Can a student opt out of the International Student Health Insurance Plan coverage and related charges?
University policy requires mandatory demonstrated comparable health insurance for all International Students. International Students, regardless of credit level (including graduate, undergraduate, and continuous registration) who are enrolled at CSU, will be automatically enrolled in the plan each semester.
International students wishing to waive the plan must demonstrate proof of comparable coverage by completing the waiver process. Students who have been granted a waiver in the fall semester will be automatically waived in the spring semester.
International students who are sponsored by their governments are required to provide their letter of financial guarantee to the Office of International Programs (OIP) prior to the CSU add/drop date. If the financial guarantee includes approved health insurance, OIP will waive the student’s insurance requirement at CSU and no additional waiver through the Health Network is required. For more information about this process, please visit the International Student and Scholar Services webpage: https://international.colostate.edu/isss/.
As a graduate student, how do I know if I am eligible for the Graduate School Assistantship Health Insurance Contribution?
The Graduate School provides a health insurance contribution exclusively to help offset the cost of health insurance through CSU’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). The Graduate School health insurance contribution is provided to graduate assistants who meet ALL criteria each fall and/or spring semester. Learn more about the criteria here.
Questions regarding the CSU’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) should be directed to the CSU Health Network at 970-491-2457.
Questions regarding the Graduate School health insurance contribution should be directed to the Graduate School at 970-491-6817.
Accessing Services Off-Campus
Students who need health care should access CSU Health Network first for treatment because there is no copay, deductible or coinsurance for most services provided here. Students can also obtain a referral to an in-network provider by visiting CSU Health Network.
Benefits will be paid at a higher level if students access services from an Anthem PPO in-network provider. Students are strongly encouraged to utilize these providers whenever possible to reduce their out-of-pocket expenses.
To find an in-network provider, please contact AmeriBen at (855) 258-2656, log on to MyAmeriBen.com, or access the In-Network Provider Directory.
Individuals enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), who obtain services from an in-network provider, will usually not be required to submit a claim form; most offices will directly bill your insurance. However, if you receive a bill from a provider’s office, you can submit the claim for processing within 90 days of the service date (see claim forms below).
For information on After Hours and Emergency Care, please click here.
How do I file a claim for off-campus services if not submitted by my provider?
In or Out-of-Network Claim Forms
- To file a Medical claim (CO and CA only), please fill out the following Anthem Claim Form.
- To file a Medical claim (all states except CO and CA), please fill out the following Anthem Claim Form.
- To file a Pharmacy claim, please fill out the IngenioRx Form.
- To file an out-of-country claim (for medical services outside the U.S.), please reference the GeoBlue Student Member Guide.
- Claims must be submitted within 90 days of the date of treatment or services.
Visit MyAmeriBen.com where you can check the status of a submitted claim, view your benefits, find an in-network provider, or submit a request for assistance – all through a secure, password protected system.
Does CSU provide insurance coverage options for students’ dependents, spouses, or domestic partners?
CSU has found that health insurance coverage for students’ dependents, spouses or domestic partners is most affordable through the open market. The Colorado Health Insurance Exchange is a marketplace where Coloradans can shop for and buy health insurance based on quality and price. The Exchange also provides financial assistance to people with certain income levels to reduce up-front costs.
- Find a Health Insurance Plan for a Dependent, Spouse or Domestic Partner
- Schedule an Appointment with a Health Guide
Additional options available for International Students’ dependents, spouses, or domestic partners include:
Questions? Contact the CSU Health Insurance office at (970) 491-2457 or email@example.com.
Note: Due to the nature of the insurance open enrollment cycle, this office experiences periods of high phone volume. Please consider emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as soon as possible.
Accessing your Digital SHIP Insurance Card
CSU offers a digital ID card for students enrolled in SHIP. Your member ID card will be available on the plan start date. You’ll receive an email from AmeriBen once your ID card is ready to download. You’ll be able to email or fax it from your smartphone or computer. If you would like a physical ID card, contact Member Services at 1-855-258-2656. You can learn more about accessing your SHIP insurance card here.