What is the requirement?
Colorado State University requires all full-time domestic students and all international students to carry health insurance as a way of protecting the student’s educational investment. Students must meet this requirement their first semester at CSU and every fall semester thereafter.
All CSU students have full access to the wide range of medical, counseling, and health education and prevention services within the CSU Health Network, regardless of their insurance plan.
Why is this a requirement?
Most major universities require students to carry health insurance as a way of protecting the student’s educational investment. Even a relatively minor health event, such as a knee injury, could put students in a situation where medical debt precludes their ability to continue in school.
How to meet the requirement?
NEW THIS FALL 2018 for SHIP students
- In order to ensure no disruption of services for Fall semester students must POSITIVELY enroll in SHIP no later than 7/20/18 through the insurance waiver/enrollment portal. Students may still elect the plan through the 9/5 deadline, but it will take 5-7 business days to get enrollment updated with the insurance carrier.
Elect coverage through an individual health insurance plan through a family member, employer, or by enrolling in the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP).
- Go to health.colostate.edu/insurancerequirement or wait for a waiver email to your CSU email account. You can access the secure online portal 10 days after you register for classes.
- Login with your student ID number, last name, and date of birth.
- Choose one of the following:
- Waive the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) by providing proof of a comparable health insurance plan. Enter the requested information (this should take less than 6 minutes) in the secure online form. Your waiver application will be audited with your insurance carrier to ensure the coverage is active and meets CSU, state, and federal requirements. Your waiver application is not complete until you receive an approval notification.
- Enroll in the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) by indicating your interest in the secure online form. Early enrollment ensures your coverage is in place and you are in possession of your insurance identification information as soon as possible so that you may seek medical care or fill prescriptions without delay.
- IMPORTANT: If you do not take action, your student account will be charged for the cost of enrollment in the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). There will be no refunds or reversals of charges after the deadline.
International students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). If you have other health insurance coverage, including an employer plan or an individual health plan, please submit a waiver request here.
RamCare Supplemental Program
Designed for students who have health insurance coverage other than the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), RamCare is an inexpensive way to pay for out-of-pocket costs for services at the CSU Health Network, such as co-pays, co-insurance, or deductibles. Click here for more information on or to enroll in RamCare.
Contact the CSU Health Insurance office at (970) 491-2457 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Due to the nature of the insurance open enrollment cycle, this office experiences periods of high phone volume. If the line is busy when you call, please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible.
• Glossary of Insurance Terms– an educational reference to assist you in understanding the most commonly used terms related to insurance coverage.
• Domestic Student Waiver
• International/INTO Student Waiver
• Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for Domestic Students
• Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) for International/INTO Students
• RamCare Supplemental Program