All psychiatry appointments are now provided over the phone or through tele-psychiatry.
- New appointments for psychiatric evaluation (new patient intake) will start being scheduled after 5/15/2020. These appointments will be conducted through videoconference. (Note: due to current license and practice restrictions for our clinicians, only students who reside in Colorado can be scheduled for a new psychiatry evaluation.)
- If you have a follow-up psychiatry appointment, your psychiatry provider will call you at your scheduled appointment time. Please find a private area where you can take the call.
- If you have an existing appointment for a psychiatric evaluation (new patient intake), your appointment will be provided through tele-psychiatry. You will use secure videoconference on your smartphone or computer to connect with your psychiatry provider. (Note: per current regulatory requirements, these appointments must be conducted through videoconference and cannot be phone call only.) Before your appointment, you will receive a secure message through the Student Health Portal with a link for a virtual meeting. Check your email and health.colostate.edu for updates.
- Psychiatry Services will continue to provide care for established patients through the summer via phone consultations or video conferencing. The summer health fee will be applied accordingly.
- Students with previously-diagnosed and treated ADHD can transfer their care to CSU Health Network Psychiatry Services. Learn more about ADHD treatment.
- At this time, Psychiatry Services is unable to offer new evaluations for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) due to inability to provide a personal meeting and needed CPT 3 computer testing.
At CSU Health Network, we offer a range of options to help students understand and overcome their difficulties and concerns.
Psychiatry Services is staffed by board-certified psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practitioners and physicians assistants, and psychiatric medical assistants. We work in collaboration with our Medical Services and Counseling Services to provide diagnosis and comprehensive treatment of various mental, emotional, or behavioral conditions, such as:
- Bipolar disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Substance use disorders
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Other mental health issues
Our team works closely with you to evaluate your mental health needs and determine a course of treatment that often includes use of medications (pharmacotherapy).
Our Combined Treatment Model – Psychiatry and Counseling
Medication alone may not be the optimal treatment. Research has repeatedly shown that combining psychiatric medications with counseling produces better clinical outcomes for most conditions.
CSU Health Network has a model of combined treatment in which students seen by our psychiatry staff are also strongly encouraged to be involved in counseling. If treatment for substance us or other issues is recommended, students are expected to engage in those services as well.
Make a Psychiatry Appointment
To make a Psychiatry appointment, call (970) 491-7121 during operating hours to speak with a scheduling representative.
CSU Health Network does not offer online or text scheduling for psychiatry appointments. Since there is a large demand for psychiatry services, an initial appointment may be 2-3 weeks in the future at some points during the semester. By asking students to call for an appointment, we are able to problem-solve interim solutions or make a more immediate plan for those in crisis. Additionally, because our staff has different areas of expertise, it is helpful to make the first appointment with a specific staff member for the type of service that will best meet the student’s needs.
The cost for psychiatry services at CSU Health Network is dependent on your specific health insurance plan. Learn more about using health insurance at CSU Health Network.
Existing Medications/Transfer of Care
If you have received psychiatric care in the past, your care can be transferred and medications can be prescribed by the psychiatric staff at the CSU Health Network while you are attending CSU. If you plan to transfer your care to us, please obtain copies of your previous records prior to scheduling the first appointment. Our Medical Records Department can assist you with this.