Colorado State University’s undergraduate, graduate, and continuous registration students are required to have health insurance which meets Federal, State, and CSU requirements. Internationals students who are enrolled at CSU, regardless of credit level, will be automatically enrolled in the CSU plan, unless they elect coverage by showing proof of private health insurance.
The following types of Health Insurance Plans may be approved:
- Employer Group Health Plans
- Sponsored Health Insurance Plans approved through CSU’s Office of International Programs
- Individual Health Insurance Plans that meet Federal, State, and CSU requirements
The following types of Health Insurance Plans will not be approved:
- Short term in-bound insurance policies
- Short term/ limited duration/ sickness and accident insurance policies
- Foreign insurance plans with U.S. affiliates/representatives or reimbursement programs- including reimbursement arrangements of vouchers for home government or their U.S.-based consulates
- Health Insurance Plans that do not meet Federal, State, and CSU Requirements
- Plans with a pre-existing condition clause
- Plans with a lifetime maximum
Electing coverage through and Individual Health Insurance Plan:
International students who are required to enroll in the CSU Student Insurance Plan may request to elect coverage through an individual health insurance plan if they can demonstrate proof of comparable coverage. Students should do the following before requesting a waiver:
- Before submitting your application for waiver, please make sure that you are registered for classes. We cannot process your request without registration for the next semester
- Complete the Application for Student Health Insurance Waiver (International Students). It is important to read all instructions and provide complete information. Incomplete applications will be returned.
- Provide requested materials no later than the published add/drop deadline for the semester.
Waiver Submission Methods
Applications for a waiver are due by the 10th day of classes. INTO students must provide a waiver to INTO before the first day of classes. During the enrollment period, students may submit a waiver request package to the CSU Health Network Student Insurance Office in a variety of ways:
- Bring your application for waiver and materials to the CSU Health Network Insurance Office located in the lower level of the Hartshorn Building, just west of the Morgan Library.
- Submit your application for waiver and materials via email to the Student Insurance Office at: CSUHN_insurance@mail.colostate.edu
- Fax your application for waiver and materials to the Student Insurance Office at (970) 491-6965.
- Mail your waiver application and materials to the following address:
CSU Health Network Student Insurance Office Campus Delivery 8031 Fort Collins, CO 80523-8031 You will be notified by e-mail of the waiver decision no later than 10 days following receipt of a complete waiver packet.
In the event that a waiver request is denied and the student believes an error has been made, an appeal can be filed and the initial determination will be reviewed by the Insurance Appeals Committee. This committee is made up of members who are external to the CSU Health Network and who are knowledgeable about the University’s comparable coverage requirements.