Colorado State University’s undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in 6 or more resident instruction credits are required to have health insurance which meets the requirements of CSU and is Health Care Reform compliant. Students will be automatically enrolled in the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan unless they waive the plan by showing proof of private health insurance.
Waivers may be approved for the following types of insurance plans:
- Employer Group Health Plans
- U.S. Government Sponsored Insurance Plans (Tricare, Veteran Benefits, Indian Health Services, Medicare or Medicaid)
- Individual Health Insurance Plans that meet Federal Health Care Reform Law
Waivers will not be approved for the following types of insurance plans:
- Short term/ limited duration/ sickness and accident insurance policies
- Health Insurance Plans that do not meet Federal Health Care Reform Law
- Students will receive information about the health insurance mandate when they complete Registration Ready for the semester.
- CSU’s contracted vendor, Ascension (email@example.com), will contact students directly for information regarding their insurance policies. Students should expect an email from Ascension approximately 10 days after completing Registration Ready and should promptly respond. The health insurance information submitted to Ascension goes through a secure portal and is not used for any purpose other than verifying the health insurance coverage.
- The waiver requirements are as follows:
- All plans will be audited for Affordable Care Act (ACA) Compliance and will not be approved if they do not have the essential health benefits as outlined here.
- Plans that do not have benefits available in Colorado will not be accepted. If you are an out of state student, please confirm coverage with your health plan.
- Coverage must be active as of the first day of classes and remain active for the academic year.
- The Insurance Company must be owned and operated in the U.S.
- Students who have comparable insurance coverage will be notified that they are “waived” from the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan and will not be enrolled.
Note: Students registering for 6 or more resident instruction credits can access the insurance waiver portal 10 days after registering for classes.
Things to Consider:
- The CSU plan is approximately $274 per month with at $1,000 deductible and 80/20 co-insurance outside the CSU Health Network and minimal to no cost sharing inside the CSU Health Network.
- Students who do not have other health insurance or do not provide information to Ascension regarding their health insurance will be enrolled in the CSU plan.
- The CSUHN insurance staff send the roster at the beginning of the plan year to AmeriBen (Claims administrator) so that students can receive prescription medications and care at the beginning of the semester.
- The end of the insurance enrollment and waiver period is the CSU add/drop date — the 10th day of classes. After that date the insurance cannot be cancelled or purchased and no refund can be issued.