Colorado State University’s undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in 6 or more resident instruction credits are required to have health insurance which meets Federal, State, and CSU requirements. Students will be automatically enrolled in the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan unless they waive the plan by showing proof of private health insurance.
The following Health Insurance Plans may be approved:
- Employer Group Health Plans
- U.S. Government Sponsored Insurance Plans (Tricare, Veteran Benefits, Indian Health Services, Medicare or Medicaid)
- Individual Health Insurance Plans that meet Federal, State, and CSU requirements
The following Individual Health Insurance Plans will not be approved:
- Short term/ limited duration/ sickness and accident insurance policies
- Plans with pre-existing conditions clause
- Plans with a lifetime maximum
- Plans not owned and operated in the United States
- Health Insurance Plans that do not meet Federal, State, and CSU requirements
Electing Coverage through an Individual Health Insurance Plan:
- Students will receive information about the health insurance requirement when they complete Registration Ready for the semester.
- CSU’s contracted vendor, SIS (Specialty Insurance Solutions), will contact students directly for information regarding their insurance policies. Students should expect an email from InsuranceVerficiation@sis-inc.biz approximately 10 days after completing Registration Ready and should promptly respond. The health insurance information submitted to SIS goes through a secure portal and is not used for any purpose other than verifying the health insurance coverage.
- Requirements are as follows:
- All plans will be audited to ensure plans meet Federal, State, and CSU requirements and will not be approved if they do not have the essential health benefits as outlined here.
- Plans with a pre-existing conditions clause will not be accepted.
- Plans with lifetime maximums will not be accepted.
- If you are an out of state student, please confirm out of state coverage is available with your health plan.
- Coverage must be active as of the first day of classes and remain active for the academic year.
- The Insurance Company must be owned and operated in the U.S.
- Students who elect coverage through an individual health insurance plan and receive approval will be notified that they are “waived” from the CSU Student Health Insurance Plan and will not be enrolled.
Note: Students registering for 6 or more resident instruction credits can make their insurance election 10 days after registering for classes.
Things to Consider:
- The CSU plan is approximately $269 per month with at $1,000 deductible and 80/20 co-insurance outside the CSU Health Network and minimal to no cost sharing inside the CSU Health Network.
- Students who do not have other health insurance or do not provide information to SIS regarding their health insurance will be enrolled in the CSU plan.
- The CSUHN insurance staff send the roster at the beginning of the plan year to AmeriBen (Claims administrator) so that students can receive prescription medications and care at the beginning of the semester.
- The end of the insurance enrollment and waiver period is the CSU add/drop date. After that date the insurance cannot be cancelled or purchased and no refund can be issued.