Health Records

Medical and mental health records (protected health information – PHI) are not included in the general university record keeping system. Health records are maintained in compliance with federal and Colorado retention regulations. A confidential health record is created for you upon proof of immunizations, receipt of off-campus medical records and/or after your first visit to the Colorado State University Health Network.

A copy of the privacy practices for the CSU Health Network can be obtained here.

If you are under 18 years of age:

Prior Health History

  • If an incoming student has a chronic medical condition, we recommend their doctor’s office send a copy of pertinent medical records to the CSU Health Network.
  • Additionally, be sure to complete the Health History form online.

Releasing Your Health Information

  • Protected health information cannot be released without your written consent/authorization unless mandated by law. If a patient is 18 years of age or older, we cannot release any information without his/her consent, even to parents. This information includes diagnosis, appointment history, test results, and billing information. A Consent/Authorization to Access or Release Protected Health Information form is available if you would like to release your PHI. This form must be filled out in person at the CSU Health Network or contact us regarding faxing/mailing this form.
  • To have health information shared with parents, professors, etc., an Information Exchange form needs to be completed. This form must be filled out in person at the CSU Health Network or contact us regarding faxing/mailing this form.
  • Records are retained for 7 years from the last date of service in accordance with the State of Colorado Archives Retention Schedule.

Download the Consent/Authorization to Access or Release Protected Health Information Form

Medical Records Fees

General Charges 
Continuity of Care Consultation (Medical or Counseling facility)No Charge
Medical Records (sent to self, insurance company or legal representative)First 10 pages- $14.00
Pages 11 - 40- $0.50 per page
Each additional page - $0.33 each
Immunization RecordsNo Charge
Summary of Behavioral Health or Psychiatric Services (Behavioral Health and Psychiatric records are released at the discretion of the provider)$25.00
X-Ray CD (not related to a referral)$6.00
  • Only immunization records will be emailed unless there is an urgent need or fax is not available at the receiving site (i.e. overseas).
  • A summary and records will result in both fees being assessed.
  • Fees must be paid prior to the release of the records.

Medical Records Contact Information

Phone: (970) 491-2349
Fax: (970) 491-0226
Colorado State University Health Network
Attn: Medical Records
8031 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-8031

Advance Directives

Advance Directives are written instructions concerning your wishes about your medical treatment, and are used in the event you are unable to make health care decisions for yourself. CSU Health Network will accept your Advance Directive(s). If you choose to send it in advance of being seen here, we will send a letter of receipt which will also explain our policy on the release of Protected Health Information (PHI). The Advance Directive will be scanned into the EHR and placed in the legal folder. An alert will be entered into the electronic health record that will show up each time the record is accessed, indicating that the patient/client has an Advance Directive on file.

You may also bring it with you during your first visit and a letter of receipt will be given to you at that time.

Two good websites for more information and copies of the forms for State Specific Advance Directives:

  • Caring Info is the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization’s website, or
  • Put it in writing is the American Hospital Association’s website.

Both sites will guide you through the process of filling out the correct form(s). If you spend a great deal of time in more than one state, you may wish to consider having an advance directive that meets the requirements of the laws of both states.

Once the form is completed and signed, photocopy the form and give it to the person you have appointed to make decisions on your behalf, your family, friends, healthcare providers and/or faith leaders so that the form is available in the event of an emergency.

When CSU Health Network receives copies of an Advance Directive, it is scanned into the Electronic Health Record (EHR) and an Alert is placed on the EHR that will indicate an Advance Directive is contained in the EHR.

Power of Attorney and Your College Student

A Power of Attorney (POA) grants the individual Attorney-in-Fact rights. This person can make financial and legal decisions on behalf of his or her student, like responding to legal matters or entering into contracts. However, this does not allow the CSU Health Network to release medical bills, due to the nature of the protected health information listed.

To make medical decisions on behalf of his or her student, the individual would need a Medical or Health Care POA. This person is then able to make medical decisions for his or her student in the event that the student is unable to do so. For example, the student is in a car accident and cannot make decisions about treatment.

Should a student give an individual POA or Medical POA this document should be kept with this person and on the student. The CSU Health Network can scan a Medical POA into a student’s medical records for reference. If the student is being seen at a local hospital or different health care facility, this information would need to be provided directly to that facility.

A POA or Medical POA does not carry over through death. As of Jan 2013, the CSU Health Network may provide medical records or information to a parent or family member who is known to be directly involved in the care of the student, and the records are limited to the condition that was the cause of death. Should a proxy become deceased the POA or Medical POA is void. At that point, the individual requesting information must have an individual representative graduated from the court.

Laws vary by state, and the CSU Health Network would recommend consulting an attorney to discuss your needs and state requirements.